Chris’ bias: School 2.0 is progressive education updated for today’s world.
Neil Postman: Certain technologies are not merely additive, they are transformative
Question 1) What is the purpose of school? (and how has that changed)
- If we are:
How do we get there?
Have a vision
You have to have a manifesto. What’s your manifesto?
Schools are the greatest socialization tool of our society
- How do we create curriculum in this model?
- What do we teach when this is available 24/7?
- How do you establish a link between your manifesto and curriculum?
- What does your assessment look like in your model?
It’s not about us
Inquiry Driven: what are the questions?
Passionate: and it has to matter
Meta Cognitive: make the learning process explicit. What’s the environment that you learn best in?
High School doesn’t start in 9th grade. It starts earlier.
Project based learning: How do you assess it?
Teaching Toward Understanding: Understanding by Design: Grant Wiggins and Jay McTigue
- You can’t have one mission for your kids and another for the teachers.
- Understand where every student is starting.
- Students monitor their own progress.
- Students are part of the process.
- Each teacher needs to know the student.
- What vs. how?
- Give the how back to the students.
- Teacher is less interested in what they know but more interested in what they can do.
- Assess ourselves. How will this measure my teaching?
- Common rubric: 5 categories used in all classes (see above)
What about the tools?
- What does digital literacy mean?
- How do we teach it?
- What’s the same? What’s different?
- What tools do we need to accomplish that?
- How do we have to change?
Parallels between the digital world and the real world.
- critical thinkers
- Managers of information
- not a separate discipline
Chris’ Tech Manifesto: Don’t talk about “What” before “Why”
Process trumps product
Technology must allow our students to research, collaborate, create, and network
Technology Must be like Oxygen: Ubiquitous, necessary, and invisible
Information Literacy and “The Prosumer” DHMO.org
- find information
- analyze information
- synthesize information
- judge information
- create information
- share information
What is the portrait you want to create of yourself?
Develop a sense of community within your school before extending it to the outside network.
Transparency: What would happen if you invited the world to school?
Building a school portal: Make it easy for teachers one single log in
What’s Teacher 2.0
- How is a teacher’s life different in this model?
- How will you create the time and space for teachers to learn?
- How will you make your faculty meetings part of a running constant dialogue?
- How will that manifesto we worote earlier inform everthing you do?
- What could ou do in your school/district immediately?
- What could you do in your school/district this year?
- What could you do in your school/district over the next five years?